QUESTIONS
FOR REFLECTION
1. James
1:17-27: Why is it important to learn how to be quick to listen, slow to
speak and slow to anger?
2. James
1:17-27: Which do you think is easier to be a hearer or doer? Why? Why not?
3. Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23: Why
does Jesus say it is whatever comes out of a person's mouth that makes them
unclean?
It is easier to be a hearer because it does not require me to act on what I hear or believe. If I am a doer then, I have to put actions to my words and live what I say I believe, however imperfectly that is. Better to have acted than to have listened and forgotten or ignored what I value the most.
ReplyDeleteBeing a hearer requires that I listen - and not only listen but internalize what I hear. It is so easy to listen, but not hear. Once the word is heard, then the doing becomes almost an automatic response - to quote Martin Luther, "I can do no other". So for me, the hard part is being a hearer, for if I really hear, then the doing will happen.
ReplyDelete